Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Full Story

Since I hate those blog posts that are super vague and because Mindi asked (I'm really hard to convince), here is the story of my worst first date. I need to start off by saying that since this happened, I have talked to this man a few times. He is a nice guy and is very happily married. I mean no ugliness to him at all.

I met him on a Sunday night when he was visiting the church I was worshipping at the time. He was passing through for work and we seemed to really hit it off immediately. We did the long distance getting to know you thing for a few months when he decided to come visit for the weekend. As much as you can get to know someone online, it's so not the same! So for starters, it wasn't just a date. It was a weekend. The story itself is long so I'm going to bullet point this thing. There is more than I am sharing but I'm leaving several things out so not to share things that are not mine to share.

- He brought me a gift. It was a box with a collection of every thing he saw over the past couple of months that reminded him of me - notepads/cards, windshield shades, key chains, cds, etc. It was a bit overwhelming but not as overwhelming as what he told me he wanted to bring me: a nice ring from a jeweler - two months after meeting and spending only a matter of hours face to face. I think he said something about emeralds and the only reason he didn't was because he didn't know my ring size. I told him he was wise to listen to his friend and NOT do that.

- He wanted to meet my parents so we met up with them in a small town midway between me and them. Part way through dinner, he started reciting a ballad he memorized using over 20 different voices. Turns out he was a voice actor on the side. It was not what I expected. Then he started sharing his life history with my parents. Several of the things he shared was new to me as well. It was in depth and very detailed. Since the table was needed, was went over to the Wal-Mart, set up camping chairs in the middle of the aisle, and for the next hour, he finished telling his story.

- Since we were both single, he stayed at my apartment and I stayed with some friends. After he left I went home. All over my bedroom were notes - on my light switch, in my closet, under my pillow, in my drawers, in my cd player, etc, etc, etc.... One on the light switch was OK but all over the room was a bit much - considering he has to go into drawers and closets to put them there.

So at the end of the day, a nice guy that I'm glad found someone else to make him happy.

1 comment:

Mindi Tipps said...

Your friends were right, Dana. You win.

And thanks for letting me "twist your arm" to share. :)