Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009

Happy New Year, sweet friends! What a beautiful day to start off a year that I have been anticipating for a few weeks.

Usually, for me, New Year is a time of reflection - looking back over the joys and sorrows that defined the milestones of the year. This year, both were present (just as any other year) but I've taken a different approach in my mind's eye. I fully believe that God blesses remembrances because he had His people put up standing stones so that they may tell their children of the goodness of the Lord. However, along with these remembrances, I've decided to make this a year of anticipation. Set aside for the Lord, I am fully convinced that our God will be faithful, fulfilling His promises in the year to come. This is a year that, instead of New Year Resolutions that will be forgotten in days to come, I just want to seek the One who set time into motion, the Author and Perfector of our faith. I've known the hand of the Lord and want it more. I want to hear his voice so clearly that when He passes by in a gentle whisper, it will not be mistaken for any other than Him.

As I've spent time in prayer over this, I've been asking for ways to keep my focus. Yet again, our God is faithful! I am committing to learn two verses a month for the next year. It is do-able and personal. Choosing verses appropriate for the stage of life to which I have been called, I am able to see the goodness of the Lord day in and day out. For the first verse of the year, I was seeking a "mission statement" for what is to come. After finding this one and briefly reading some commentary on it, I chose Hosea 10:12:

Sow for yourself righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord until he comes and showers righteousness on you.

I'll continue to post the verses I have chosen because for me, repeated writing helps me memorize. If you would like to join, feel free! You don't have to tell anyone. Make sure you have accountability for yourself and dive in to blessing upon blessing!

May the Lord bless and keep this year for you. May He shine his face on you and be gracious! Have a wonderful 2009!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Since I know that only God loves you more than I do, I am relying on His faithfulness to bless you richly this year. I love your first verse of the year, and know that it will bless you in its truthfullness.

Happy 2009, my Dana.

shanon said...

I love reading your blog. God has something special for you. I read your Dec. 15th blog about quotes so thought I would share a few that have been meaningful to me this year.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.;"

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow."

"Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending."

"I can't control the hand I'm dealt, only how I will play it."

May we let God use us for his glory in 2009.

Shanon

Jackie said...

Now I feel like a dead beat!

Sorry I missed seeing you at Christmas/New Years!