Monday, September 15, 2008

Her Hands

Ike has come and gone. I'll write more about it later after I have heard about a couple of more things. Suffice it to say that we are thankful to have power and except for the limited gas and lack of meat/dairy products, we are relatively back to normal. Since both Erin and I are off today and tomorrow due to not having power at our workplaces, we decided to run some errands. We talked about feeling guilty just going on as we have been while others are without SO much. However, while we wait, we do need to take care of a couple of things.

One of the stops we made was to Motherhood Maternity so Erin could pick up a couple of things she needed. She was trying on a shirt and called me in to help her untie a knot behind her. I got it out relatively quickly and for some reason, my eyes stayed there while she tied the pull behind her back. In that instant, my mind flashed back to her hands at six years old. They were tying her shoes instead of her shirt tie. She didn't notice but I caught my breath. I've seen those hands grow from gripping the tag on her Care Bear to playing a clarinet to wearing her wedding ring and soon to holding the hand of her newborn daughter. It was a very real moment for me that my baby sister is having a baby. She will be tying shoes for her daughter very soon. That moment of watching her hands still sits with me now. So beautiful.

4 comments:

Mindi Tipps said...

What a great post. I'm crying. I love you and Erin dearly! You are going to be an amazing Aunt!

Jeff and I prayed for you all and we're glad that you aren't having a rough time after Ike!

jenn said...

like Mindi, my eyes are full too! what a great remembrance of one you love so dearly!
I can't wait for you to get to experience the joys of being an aunt!!!
it's good to hear that you 4 are ok!

Amy said...

Great, Dana - I'm starting my day crying!! Truly, you are such a marvelous writer of life's moments.

I love you so....

*Lin* said...

beh...