Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Anticipating India

In about 41 hours, we will be boarding a plane to head to India. It has been several weeks in the making - planning, booking, virtually exploring, adventures in getting visas, and so much more. We have a schedule that has tours and places set alongside generous amounts of down time. We will be seeing Delhi, Agra, and Varanasi - the Red Fort, Old Delhi, a food tour, the Taj Mahal, working with local children, various tours around Varanasi, and all of the local stuff that catches your eye along the way. We've started packing lists and daydreaming about markets. My inner tourist is SO excited! However.....

The past few days, I've been reminded about the poverty I'm about to encounter. I've had brief conversations with people, been reading about it, remembering the Compassion bloggers I followed a few years ago. Honestly, it's overwhelming. I know we will see it. We won't be able to help it. I don't want to help it. I've heard the the Taj will overwhelm you with its beauty but it is needed after having your heart broken on the way in. I want that. I want to see the need and be effected by it. I don't want to drive by and not be touched by it. I currently live where people live in parking garages under our buildings. They are lucky if they have walls and a door. They warm themselves by a fire in the street. I have seen poor here. It won't compare to this poverty. I know it. And yet....

If there is only one thing I've learned, it is this - in the broken is the most beauty. That is what I want to see. I want to look at what my mind deems as hopeless and see the beauty of a people. A beauty of their hearts. Hope. I want to be different by seeing them.

I anticipate it will be hard. Most things worth experiencing are. I think India will be worth it.

1 comment:

Affordable Tours said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.