Sunday, April 24, 2011

Thanks!

This weekend I spent some time in Pleasanton with my folks. It was a good time. Dad surprised me by taking my car to get the headlights cleaned and a full tank of gas. So appreciated! Our iTunes/iPod tutorials went well. Mom and I did some shopping and talking. Girl time is always good with her. Lots of time for all three of us to visit. I survived the "church of the Spurs" on Saturday night and finally got to meet my friends' sweet baby this morning.

No trip to Pleasanton would be complete without a trip to Wal-Mart. I REALLY don't like Wal-Mart and only go when I'm visiting the parents. Since I don't like it, I don't give it the time or energy to look nice going there. So when I walked in to grab something for Mom on Saturday, here is how I looked: no make-up, pony tail, glasses, t-shirt, and yoga pants. Not "People of Wal-Mart" worthy but Clinton and Stacy would have had a fit! So I put my head down and focused on getting what I needed so I could leave quickly. As I walked through the produce department, I noticed from the corner of my eye a man putting out tomatoes. He was an older man that was about 5 inches shorter than me and quite stout. His teeth were not in the best shape. We met eyes for just a moment so I nodded and smiled a quick hello. He stopped what he was doing, looked me straight in the eyes, and said, "You have a pretty smile." I thanked him and kept on going.

As I grabbed the couple of things Mom needed, I noticed I was smiling a lot. It's amazing that one sentence from a random stranger can make you feel so good - especially when you know exactly how you really look! While it may not have come from someone expected or hoped for, that compliment totally made my day.

So to the produce packer at Wal-Mart, thanks for smile. Apparently it was very needed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana,
From one woman to another - this made my heart smile. I enjoyed reading.
-Michelle

Amy said...

Dana, thanks for running the errand for me; your smile probably made his day, too!

The Johnsons said...

"church of the Spurs" :)