Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Permanent Static

When you live by yourself, there are a few things that you do not feel alone. The most common is to turn on the TV. It is someone's voice that engages you through story. However, if you aren't careful, if can become almost an addiction. It is something that you can use to numb yourself, to check out and not deal, or to just replace responsibility with. It is sly too. It makes you start to accept things that you otherwise wouldn't because it slowly draws you in through entertainment. I can say these because I am speaking from experience. It happened to me.

Two weeks ago, I made a decision - Get rid of cable. I called and cancelled it. I bought an antenna and what do you know but it didn't work. I had every intention to go get a more powerful one after work today so I boxed it up and placed it by my bag last night. But....

This morning I was brushing my teeth, a thought crossed my mind - what if I just didn't have TV? Really. Let's just think about this -
  • Last week before the antenna was purchased, I got so much done. I'm getting back so much time.
  • I'm never home to use it.
  • All of the shows I enjoy (except one) are online. I can watch them anytime I want with minimal to no commercials.
  • I can't "accidentally" pick up a new show.
  • My mind is sheltered from so much!
  • Time is given back to me - for God, for others, for reading, for being domestic.
  • TV watching is now a social event is which other people are involved.
  • All of that money is being put to better purposes.
  • My home is now truly a place to relax fully.
So I took the antenna back today and didn't get a stronger one. My TV is officially set to permanent static! It feels really extreme but freeing at the same time. I don't know how long this will last but for the time being, TV is for DVDs only. So if you need to disconnect for a bit, come on over! There's so much we can do together!

I think I'm about to learn a lot about listening....

1 comment:

*Lin* said...

I didn't have TV for years, and I never missed it. I appreciate people that spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on their televisions, because they are the reason I get to stay home, but I do NOT understand them.