Thursday, November 05, 2009

Oh the Things They Will Say

I haven't blogged about work too much this year. It's been pretty different in both good and bad ways. I'm working with a completely new population within our school through our REACH (reading) and Title (math) intervention programs. We are working with the kids that 15 years ago would have been in special education or pretty close to it. Most days are fine but every once in a while, it can be pretty daunting. This morning we had a meeting that was very overwhelming. Those of us on that team were pretty shell shocked. But bless 'em, we had kids that just made us laugh and laugh and laugh. Because, truth be told, if you don't laugh, you'll cry - really hard. Here are the things that broke our tension with delirious laughter:

Me: Who is your teacher?
Kinder kid: Mrs. REACH
Me: Yes, you are in REACH but who is your teacher?
Kinder kid: Mrs. REACH!
(10 minutes later)
His Teacher: Do you know my name?
Kinder kid: No
His Teacher: Ms. Mitchell
Kinder kid: Oh
His Teacher: OK, so what is my name?
Kinder kid: Mrs. REACH

Overheard from the boys' restroom:
- I left my pee in the water!

Teacher to a girl in the restroom (notice a pattern here):
Teacher: Why aren't you using the restroom?
2nd grader: The toilet won't flush.
Teacher: Did you push the lever down?
2nd grader: Yes
Teacher: Are you sure?
2nd grader: Yes
Teacher pushes the lever and the toilet flushes
2nd grader: Oh. I didn't try that.

Teacher: What are some things that you could be doing at 7:00 a.m.?
Student: Getting home.

Three minutes after giving a reading passage to students:
Student: I'm finished
Teacher: Are you sure? You read the passage and answered all of the questions in three minutes?
Student: Oh yeah, I forgot to read it!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Welcome to my life!! You are right; you HAVE to laugh! Hang in there - the lights DO come on!

Mindi Tipps said...

You're so right...if you don't laugh you will cry. Teaching will do that to you. I know you are doing a wonderful job for those kiddos though and I love hearing the things they say.

Sorry we missed each other the other night, I hope to be able to call you in a little while! :)