Thursday, December 20, 2007

Today's Debate

I often joke around that I don't teach first graders, I teach theological thinkers. The funniest thing about it is that I really isn't a joke. Here is the latest in the MANY conversations that I overhear almost daily. Keep in mind that I have come in midpoint and am not sure exactly how this came up:

A: No, not really. I mean, he's not really like us. More like a spirit.

B: Yeah, that's what I mean. He used to be a man but now that he's in Heaven, he is just a spirit again.

A: Right. He was a man like our dads but what made him different was God's spirit inside of him. Now his spirit is back with God in Heaven. He was both here on Earth but now he is just spirit - like God.

B: You know we will be like that one day. Just spirits with God. In Heaven.

A: Heaven is like here, right?

B: Yeah, but prettier and only our favorite things.

A: So I guess heaven is something really great. I don't get why people are afraid to die if it is so good.

B: Me either. With Jesus and God there, it will be pretty good.

At this point, my girl came and thrust a monster puppet she made in my face and I could no longer hear what they were saying. SIX YEARS OLD! The discussion of Christ's humanity vs. Christ's deity. Then, the talk of heaven. We all know how concrete that one can be. I have to admit, I feel very humbled to be able to sit (or stand) off to the side and listen to these beautiful conversations. One co-worker's boys hoot and holler at every girl that comes by them or that they see in a book. Another co-worker has many students that are just now learning the English language. Next door, my teammate is battling severe learning disabilities. Me? I have the spontaneous discussions about God and other deep spiritual matters. What a blessing!

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Praise God! That is awesome!